Sunday 19 July 2009

Windows 7 – The Negatives

So like I said in my last post I would post all that is wrong with Windows 7 and the truth is; there isn’t much wrong with it. I’ve only found one problem and it is a major one: Drivers!!!!!!!

Although Microsoft have stated that all the Vista drivers will work with 7 I had trouble installing the drivers for my HP F380 printer, I had to resort to running the driver installation in Windows Vista compatibility mode which I’m assuming, the average user won’t know how to do. I guess this problem will be sorted closer to the October 22nd release of Windows 7 but the driver issue in Windows Vista was what put many off using the operating system.

The only other issue I had with it was a driver problem installing something called LIBUSB to allow me to jailbreak my iPod. Once that was installed and my computer was restarted everything was working OK till i tried to shutdown; on the shutdown screen windows blue screened saying there was a Windows device driver error. Every time I shutdown or restarted window it blue screened on the shutdown screen, I uninstalled LIBUSB and everything was fine. Also the second problem I had that was blue screen related, I downloaded a Windows Media Player theme, ran the installation and it blue screened, I solved that issue by restoring Windows 7 to a previous point in time and it now works OK.

Other than those 3 issues I haven’t had a problem with Windows 7 and I recommend every Vista user upgrade.

Also on another driver related note, many companies have already released Windows 7 drivers(most notably Nvidia). Also ATI are preparing for the September release of DirectX 11, no word on the Nvidia release of it though.

That’s it, no more tech posts today, back to Hip Hop LOL.

Previous: Windows 7 Hands On

Previous: Windows 7 Preorder(UK Only)

No comments:

Post a Comment